Chapter 8: Teaching and Faculty Interactions with Students

Save chapter as a PDF

8.C Resources for Students (Ann Arbor Campus)

Save section as a PDF

Often students turn to faculty for assistance with personal and academic concerns and requests for referrals or campus information. In the event the faculty member is unable to answer the student’s question or is unable or unqualified to provide the desired assistance, there are many people and offices on campus to whom or to which the student can be referred. The following is by no means an exhaustive list of services available to students on the Ann Arbor campus, but it may be useful in helping students to address many of the common concerns that arise.

Academic Advising and Support Each school and college (and some departments and programs) has a student services/affairs office. In addition to coordinating academic advising services, degree requirements, and academic policies, these offices may also handle academic integrity issues, tutoring and academic support information, unit-based financial aid, unit admissions, and/or career counseling and placement services. Faculty should contact the office of their dean or director to obtain the names of these student resource people and their contact information. In some units, undergraduates and graduates may be served by different offices. The Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies provides assistance to graduate students enrolled in any Rackham graduate program.

Career Advising, Planning, and Placement All students, whether they are in undergraduate, graduate, or professional programs, can utilize the services of The Career Center, located in 3200 Student Activities Building ( Some academic units (e.g., the College of Engineering, Law School, and the Ross School of Business) have their own career centers and placement offices. The Center for the Education of Women+ (CEW+) ( offers many programs, services, and resources to students, including non-traditional students, and to faculty, staff, and community members.

Campus Information Operating on average 19 hours a day, the Campus Information Center (CIC) is a handy resource for the entire University community. Contact the office via e-mail [email protected], or visit the website at The CIC is located on the first floor of the Michigan Union. There is also a North Campus Information Center (NCIC), located in the Pierpont Commons Lobby. See also section 21.J “Information.”

Dean of Students The Office of the Dean of Students promotes individual student development and enhances the Michigan experience for all students through individual support, programs, services, co-curricular opportunities, policy development and advocacy. The office’s key areas of focus include campus climate and student engagement, student health and wellness, and critical incident management for personal emergencies or emergencies confronting larger groups.
The office partners with faculty and staff members–who are often the first people to become aware of students in need–by providing and coordinating University resources and support. The eleven student life units that the office oversees include counseling and psychology services, sexual assault prevention and awareness, and health services, as well as offices that serve minority students; students with disabilities; and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students. Visit the website at

Financial Matters The Office of Financial Aid can help with student budgeting, as well as provide information on grants, loans, workstudy, and other student employment. The Office of Financial Aid is located in 2500 Student Activities Building (SAB) In addition, many academic units have offices that provide fellowships, scholarships, and need-based aid. The Rackham Graduate School’s Fellowship Office provides information and financial support for graduate students enrolled in many of the graduate programs.

Students’ financial transactions with the University are handled by Student Financial Services & Teller Services, also located on the second floor of SAB. Students are able to access their individual account information through Wolverine Access at

Health and Well-Being University Health Service (UHS) provides comprehensive outpatient medical services to students, most of which are covered by a health service fee paid by students. Psychiatric, physical therapy, and nutrition services are also included. Health education and prevention programs (including guest speakers for classes) are also available. Faculty are welcome to use University Health Service on a fee-for-service basis. For more information, check the website at See also section 18.I “Health Care Services/Resources.”

Counseling and Psychological Services Serves students through crisis intervention; brief personal counseling and short-term psychotherapy for individuals, couples, and groups; and workshops on various informational and skill building topics. Faculty who are dealing with a student who is or may be exhibiting psychological problems or who is acting in a manner that is harmful to the student or others may call Counseling and Psychological Services for assistance in determining whether the student should be referred, and if so, how to make a referral. The CAPS post “Helping A Student in Distress,” is available online at Services are provided free to enrolled U-M students. Confidentiality, to the extent permitted by law, is strictly maintained. Visit the website at for more information. Also see section 8.D.7 “Disruptive Behavior.”

For a psychological or psychiatric emergency concerning a student, call:

  • Emergency Mental Health and Psychiatry: 734-936-5900
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 9-8-8

The Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC) provides services and educational outreach for students (as well as faculty and staff). 734-936-3333

Office of the Ombuds (For Students). The Office of the Ombuds (for students) exists specifically to assist students in resolving a variety of problems, complaints, and conflicts within the University. The ombuds looks for equitable methods of resolution and works for the fair treatment of all parties involved in the disagreement. The Office of the Ombuds may provide counseling as well as information about policies and grievance and appeal procedures. The Office has no jurisdiction outside the University. On the Ann Arbor campus, the Office of the Ombuds is located in the Michigan Union, and the e-mail is [email protected] , or call 763-3545. Walk-in consultation may be available. See also their website at

Registration, Records, Transcripts, and Residency. The Office of the Registrar at the University can be reached and students can access their records and transact most business through the Web on Wolverine Access: <>.