Chapter 7: Scholarship and Research

Save chapter as a PDF

7.D Resources for the Support of Scholarship, Research, and Other Creative Activity

Much scholarship, research, and other creative activity is supported by the everyday use of resources such as libraries, computing technology, office space, and departmental administrative support. However, additional funds are often needed to support specific projects. These funds may come from sources internal to the University or from external sponsors, such as government agencies, foundations, and private business in the form of grants or contracts.

Save section as a PDF

7.D.1 Funding from UM Sources

A number of central administration offices as well as schools, colleges, and departments provide funds to support research, scholarship, and other creative activity. Support is most often available to seed projects in the early stages of development, encourage interdisciplinary work, help purchase equipment, provide bridging support between periods of externally supported work, offset some costs of publication and artistic productions and performances, and provide cost-sharing funds that sponsors may require. Online sources list internal sources of support, including “Find Funding” on the Office of Research and Special Projects (ORSP) website , and “Funding” on the Rackham Graduate School website.  The unit administrator in most schools and colleges also has information about sources of support.

7.D.2 Funding from External Sources

Faculty members are urged to contact their unit administrator and ORSP project representatives for assistance with identifying potential sponsors of research, scholarship, and other creative activity. In addition, a library of guides to sponsors, fellowships, and other kinds of support is maintained at the ORSP offices in Wolverine Tower and on the “Funds for Research and Scholarship” portion of the website.

7.D.3 Identifying Collaborators

The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) facilitates partnerships between first and second year students and U-M faculty and research scientists. All schools and colleges of the University of Michigan are active participants. UROP pays student wages, provides academic credit options, and manages paperwork. See for more information.


7.D.4 Other Resources

Computing support for scholarship and research comes from many sources. Information and Technology Services (ITS) has primary responsibility for a wide range of services and infrastructure requirements. For more information, see Chapter 20, “Technology and Communications,” or the ITS website at <>. The Center for Statistical Consultation and Research (CSCAR) < > is administratively located in the UM Office of Research, and is available to assist with study design, selection of statistical methodology, and interpretation and presentation of results.

UMOR ’s website also provides information about proposal preparation and submission.