Chapter 18: Campus Health and Safety

Save chapter as a PDF

18.C Emergencies

Save section as a PDF

If it appears someone may need assistance because of a mental health situation, call the Psychiatric Emergency Service at University Hospitals for immediate help. This 24-hour service provides consultation, assistance to individuals who walk in at the Hospital Emergency Room, and outreach teams to assist anyone in the Ann Arbor community.  Call 734-936-5900 or 734-996-4747.

In the event of an emergency on the Ann Arbor campus (i.e., serious illness or injury, crime in progress, or fire), dial 911 from any campus phone or lift the receiver of a carport phone or a blue light emergency campus phone. All of these calls are routed to the Department of Public Safety & Security (DPSS) Communication Center, where the appropriate response is determined and necessary action taken. The Communication Center is operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Carport phones are located in University parking structures. Blue light emergency phones are located on the Central, North, South, and Medical campuses and can be recognized by the blue light above the phone. When either type of phone is removed from the cradle, the DPS dispatcher is automatically alerted, and an officer is sent to the location of the phone. Although no dialing or conversation is required to elicit a response, anyone in an emergency situation should try to describe the emergency to the dispatcher if possible. A map of blue light phones is published by the U-M Division of Public Safety & Security.

When reporting an emergency, it is important to try to remain calm and to give the following information:

  • the precise nature of the emergency
  • the type of aid required
  • the location of the emergency
  • the caller’s name
  • the caller’s location

If a student is in serious psychological difficulty, call Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for a confidential consultation. Faculty who are in a crisis or wish to seek help for any personal problem may receive evaluation and referral from the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program. Call CAPS at 734-764-8312.   See Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO), or Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience.

See the DPSS Emergency Preparedness Resources for U-M Faculty and Staff for a discussion of how to handle alcohol emergencies, emergency evacuation procedures for classroom buildings, handling hazardous materials emergencies, and mental health emergency procedures.  See also section 8.D.5 “Authorized and Unauthorized Persons in the Classroom.”