Chapter 18: Campus Health and Safety

Save chapter as a PDF

18.E Alcohol and Other Drugs

Save section as a PDF

18.E.1 University Policies

The University recognizes that the abuse of alcohol and other drugs can significantly interfere with fulfilling the mission of the University and poses a serious threat to the health and well-being of the members of this community. It offers a number of resources to assist members of the community who suffer the ill-effects of the abuse of alcohol or other drugs and has policies in place that address community expectations, prevention strategies, and resources, as well as penalties for misuse.

The University Alcohol and Drugs Prevention Program and Policy, required by federal law, is distributed annually to all University faculty, staff, and students. Distribution to faculty is by DPSS’ publication in the Annual Security Report & Annual Fire Safety Report.

The University policy prohibits unlawful possession, use or distribution of alcohol or illicit drugs by faculty, staff, or students on University property or as part of any University activity. University, state and federal sanctions for the unlawful possession, use, manufacture or distribution of alcohol or illicit drugs, as well as counseling and treatment programs available to members of the University community, are detailed in the policy. Consistent with the federal requirement, this policy is reviewed biennially to determine its effectiveness and to implement any changes needed to ensure that the University’s sanctions are consistently enforced.

The University policy also sets forth the Employee Reporting Requirement. This federally-mandated policy requires a faculty or staff member who works in any capacity under a federal grant or contract to notify his or her department head or University supervisor in writing of the employee’s own conviction for a violation of any criminal drug statute occurring in the workplace. This notice must be given no later than five days after a current conviction or within five days of beginning work on the grant or contract for past convictions. The department head or supervisor must report the violation promptly to the vice president and general counsel’s office.

In addition to the University policy, each unit of the University is asked to formulate its own alcohol and drug policy, based on and consistent with University policy. Typically, the policies of the schools and colleges are published in their faculty handbooks; other unit policies are available from the office of the director.

The legal use or serving of alcoholic beverages at social events is determined by departmental policy in accordance with University principles and guidelines on responsible hosting. The legal drinking age in Michigan is 21.

The University of Michigan Student Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs can be found on the Office of Student Conflict Resolution’s website on Alcohol and Other Drugs Resolution. Misuse of alcohol or other drugs is a violation of the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities and may be subject to action under the Statement (see section 8.D.6 “Dispute Resolution/Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities”).

University Housing, individual academic units, and facilities may have internal procedures and impose sanctions against individuals and groups that violate their policies. Actions under one policy do not preclude actions under others.

18.E.2 Counseling and Treatment Programs

Faculty with alcohol or other drug-related problems, or who are affected by the substance abuse problems of someone else, are urged to seek assistance. The primary resources for faculty with drug-related issues are the Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO) or the Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience. See section 15.F “Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FASAP) and UMHS Employee Assistance Program (UMHS EAP).” Confidential services are also available 24 hours a day at UMH Psychiatric Emergency Services. Additional resources are listed in the Annual Security Report & Annual Fire Safety Report.

Confidential assessment for students is available through Counseling and Psychological Service (CAPS), 3100 Michigan Union, 734-764-8312, email: [email protected].