Chapter 9: Faculty as Representatives of the University/ServiceSave chapter as a PDF
- 9.A General Principles
- 9.B Government Relations
- 9.C Communications and Media Relations
- 9.D Faculty Statements
- 9.E Working Outside the University
- 9.F Lobbying
- 9.G Conflicts of Interest and Conflicts of Commitment
- 9.H Fundraising and Gifts to the University
- 9.I Product Endorsements
- 9.J Questionnaires
- 9.K Use of University Equipment and Property
- 9.L Use of the University Seal, University Wordmark, Block M, and Other Logos
- 9.M Compliance in Health Care
9.B Government RelationsSave section as a PDF
The Office of the Vice President for Government Relations represents the University to communities throughout the state and to local, state, and federal governments. The following offices and activities report to government relations:
Government relations: offices in Ann Arbor, Washington, D.C., and Lansing, as well as alumni contacts in state and federal legislatures. See section 9.F “Lobbying.”
Office of State Outreach: disseminates information about the University’s statewide commitments and seeks to enhance the University’s presence and service to the state.
Community Relations: works with government, civic, and business leaders in Ann Arbor and Southeast Michigan to foster cooperation and positive town-gown relations.
For more information about these areas and their activities, visit the government relations’ website at <www.umich.edu/~govrel>.
The U-M Health System also has a government relations officer.